In addition to the assessment and treatment of patients in accordance with internationally recognized programs work on improving the existing treatment methods, development of new therapy options and basic research are performed.
During radiation therapy the emphasis is on using treatment program that has been developed specifically for each individual patient and to achieve the best possible effect on the cancer disease and reduce side effects. Section for Medical Physics is responsible for the quality assurance of the physical processes of radiation and treatment dose planning. In addition, the section is responsible for service and maintenance of radiotherapy equipment in the department.
The Section provides services to all departments that use radiation for diagnostics and therapy. The total radiation protection service at the hospital are taken care of by the Radiation Protection Officer at the Department of Oncology and Medical Physics.
Department of Oncology and Medical Physics provides non-surgical cancer treatment (radiation therapy and chemotherapy).
Scheduled admission – Inpatient
The Department of Cancer Treatment has two wards: Ward 1 and Ward 2.
Every patient receives a mailed letter of admission. Some patients will additionally receive a phone call from the Cancer Department's Office of admissions.
The note contains information regarding:
- Date and time of admission at the ward.
- List of items to bring
- Underwear Feilstavet ordetc
- Personal clothes
- Medications: Initial admission: Remember to bring a list of your regular and as-needed medications with names, dosage and frequency.
- Your are advised to only bring a limited amount of cash, Feilstavet ordjeweleries etc. The department cannot be held liable for the loss of valuables.
- Who to contact and telephone number.
- Information form needed by the hospital which should be completed by you prior to admission.
- Map with directions to Feilstavet ordHaukeland University Hospital and an map of the hospital grounds.
Day of admission
Time and place is detailed in the note.
The Feilstavet ordinital day consists of blood tests, admission at the ward, information and dialogue with doctor and nurse. Waiting time in between the different events is to be expected.
Performs an examination and registers information in your medical records. Information regarding further tests/examinations and treatments will also be given.
Shows you the way in the department. Conducts an admission dialogue with you and hands you printed information regarding the department and associated routines.