Staffed waiting area Monday to Friday: 08:00–17:00 (Thursdays: 09.30-17:00)
The waiting area offers reclining chairs, coffee tables with seats, magazines and coffee.
In the daytime the waiting area is staffed by two transport planners from the Department of Patient Travel. The transport planners are not medically trained but can assist you if there are any changes to your planned travel.
- Patient travel must be booked by the discharging department before the patient arrives in the waiting area.
- The departments are responsible for referring patients to the waiting area based on a medical assessment.
- Patients who need to wait longer than 2 1/2 hours for their booked travel should do so in their department.
- The department should make its assessments, including medical assessments, on the basis that the waiting area is not permanently staffed and not staffed by medical personnel.
Patients travelling by air may contact the hosts in the waiting area, who will help organise an airport transfer.
In special circumstances the waiting area may be unmanned for limited periods during opening hours.
- Patients who require care and who are in the waiting area at ordinary closing time will be referred back to the discharging department. The discharging department will then look after the patient.
Patients who have been allocated patient transport after 15.30 and who require care must wait in their department. Those who do not require care may wait at the edge of the waiting area.